Monday, June 29, 2009

S Klein on the Square

When I was about 10 years old, my mother took me to S.Klein on the Square in Newark. We were looking for a party dress for me to wear to my Aunt Edith's wedding in Brooklyn.
However, we did not go to the regular part of the store. We went to the basement, hence the name bargain basement. There were racks of racks of dresses that had netting underneath and little peter pan collars. I was rather overwhelmed. We selected a fancy pastel colored dress that made me look unlike the self I had come to know, a kid with hand me down clothing from a second cousin who had lots of plaid. I do not recall ever going there again because then we switched to the bargain basement of Alexanders in Paramus.

Both these stores are long gone but perhaps this is why I always like a bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment